It's Gettin' Hot In Here!
We’re ready for warmer days and longer nights. To get in the true spirit of the season upon us, we’re kicking off “smokin’ hot summer!” In this issue, and those to come, we’ll share all things cannabis and lifestyle — from delicious recipes to beating the heat with our favorite flower (yes, it’s a thing). Are you ready for the best summer yet? We sure are. Dive in!
CANNABIS IS REALLY CHILL
Beat the heat this summer with temperature-fighting cannabis
Finally, the sun is shining. The birds are chirping. The temperature is rising. All of these changes mean one thing: summer is just around the corner! Now, most of us love the beautiful hot weather. Some of us, on the other hand, cannot stand the heat. Regardless of whether you are the former or the latter, everyone knows that you can be incredibly uncomfortable when it gets sweltering. But the good news for cannabis enthusiasts everywhere: our favorite plant might keep you feeling calm, cool, and collected.
In addition to getting you high, cannabis can keep you cool. Science guides us to a few different physiological mechanisms that allow cannabis to help lower body temperatures. Cannabinoids, compounds found in cannabis, can interact with the hypothalamus and endocannabinoid system and subsequently impact temperature regulation while also occupying the vanilloid receptor family (TRPA-1. TRPM8, etc.) If you missed the vanilloid receptor family lesson in biology class, don't worry, we did too. But now, thanks to our interest in cannabis, we know the vanilloid receptors alter our perception of heat and pain and, therefore when also engaged by cannabinoids, may numb our sensation of heat and feeling hot.
If you're still a little confused, here's an example. Think of your favorite hot beverage from Starbucks. When you take a sip of this delightful piping hot drink, it stimulates your vanilloid receptors that initiate your body's cooling response and consequently lower your body temperature. With cannabis, the cannabinoids also activate your body's cooling response, and therefore, your body temperature drops and cools you off.
Of course, we do not suggest that you only turn to cannabis if you're feeling overheated. Be the reasonable, intelligent adult we know you are, and make sure you're doing things like drinking water and finding shade or air conditioning. But hey, if this is another excuse to consume a little bit more cannabis, we'll take it!
Seeds: Three Things To Think About
GROW YOUR CANNABIS WITH EASE
Growing your own cannabis outdoors is great because it is cost-efficient and relies on the sun's power. Unlike indoor growing, you are tied to the sun, seasons, and local weather instead of utilities and equipment. Here are three things to think about after you purchase your seeds from Chalice Farms:
When growing your cannabis, finding the best location to position your plants is tricky. You'll want to find a space that has a stable temperature, sufficient sunlight, and safety from severe weather.
Maintaining The Plant
Once the vegetative phase begins, your plant will start photosynthesizing to make the energy required to fuel development. To maintain and nourish your plants, you'll need to only water the top few centimeters of soil after it has become dry and regularly test the soil to ensure it stays within a pH range of 6.0–7.0.
A common challenge for outdoor growers is pests. However, pests can easily be prevented using natural preventatives. For example, you can introduce predatory insects, like ladybirds and parasitic wasps, to protect your plants against pest species. Or, by simply planting basil, lemon balm, or dill, you can repel pests easily.
How Sweet It Is
SPLURGE WITH THIS OOEY GOOEY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
Recipe and photo: emilykylenutrition.com
We love a good treat and this one is right up our alley. This cannabis-infused chocolate chip cookie recipe will be a staple for years to come, trust us. If you’re feeling nice, pass it on to a friend — they’ll surely appreciate you for it!
Makes: 24 cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Prepare two foil-lined baking sheets and set them aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Set this bowl aside.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the creamed ingredients and beat well with the mixer.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while continuing to mix. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated and a dough is formed.
- When the dough is formed, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Create 1 tablespoon-sized dough ball and place them evenly apart, approximately 2", on the reserved foil-lined baking sheets. Gently flatten the dough balls with your hands or the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 9 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 1-2 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet and transferring them to a cooling rack.
*If you do not have cannabis sugar, we recommend substituting a mix of half brown sugar, half white sugar.
*If adding cannabis concentrates, mix them into the oil or butter before preparing this recipe.
Newbie Edibles 101
HOW TO TRY EDIBLES IF YOU'RE NEW TO THE WORLD OF CANNABIS
Looking to give edibles a try, but worried you're going to get that zombie-on-the-couch affect your friends and family members have told you about? You need not worry! We're here to help! Plus, cannabis has come a long way since the days of "special brownies." Today, cannabis-infused foods are a multimillion-dollar industry, with edibles popping up everywhere, from weddings to gourmet dinners. While smoking is the most popular way to consume cannabis, in 2020, edibles started to gain some ground on smoking. So, let's talk about everything you need to know about edibles so you can have a highly enjoyable experience.
- Buy legit edibles: As much fun as eating your friend Sue's brownies sound, you want to know precisely how much THC you're putting into your system. Plus, the more legit the edible, the more likely you won't taste the cannabis!
- Make Time for the Experience: Clear your schedule and make time for the experience. Make sure you have a good friend around.
- Eat and Drink: Make sure you have water and food in your system.
- Dose Low: If you're an absolute newbie to cannabis, make sure you start with a low dose. Less than five milligrams is enough!
- Don't get anxious: For some people, cannabis doesn't set in for a little. If this happens, don't start popping the edibles like candy. Instead, wait two hours before you add a small dose.
5 Ways to Incorporate Cannabis Into Your Summer
- When life gives you lemons - make lemonade! Whip up a batch of ice-cold, fresh-squeezed lemonade with CBD-infused simple syrup. Enjoy a glass (or two) and say goodbye to any stresses or worries from the day.
- Make it a joint effort - enjoy a joint under a shaded tree, or poolside with a friend. There really is no better way to decompress and take in the nice weather. We have endless options to choose from at Chalice Farms, so be sure to check out our menu and stock up!
- Work on your green thumb - dig into the garden. Having the sun on your back and caring for a space, like a garden, is not only rewarding but peaceful too. Head into your nearest Chalice Farms location to pick up some incredible cannabis seeds.
- Get to cookin’ - try BBQ. Inside our recent print spring/summer issue (find it at Chalice Farms locations now!), we shared a delicious cannabis-infused mole sauce recipe. Dip your BBQ favorites into this amazingness and you’ll think you’ve gone, gourmet!
- Get high - fly a kite. A summer breeze and cannabis? It’s quite the combo, and it’s even great for meditation. So, grab a kite, some cannabis of your choice, and get outside for fresh air — and a high like no other.
Products To Try!
If you weren't already excited about summer, these products are sure to do it. Shop what’s in now!
Chalice Farms – Tangerine Blast Fruit Chew, 50mg $6
Serra – 1:1 Jacobsen Sea Salt Caramels $21.60
Magic Number – Berry Seltzer, 50mg $12
Heroes of the Farm – Girl Time Kush Hybrid Flower, THC 20.19%, CBD 0.06% $42/3.5g
Select – Lemon Ginger CBD Tincture $54
JUNK – Watermelon Popping Candy Dynamites! $14.40
The Blues Brothers – Sativa Pre-Roll Pack, Sourdough Kush THC 24.69% CBD .039%, $14.40